Sunday, October 23, 2016

musicMusings : Psalm 46:10


Click here to listen > https://db.tt/ZUvPro3L

Be Still


Be still, be calm
Know the LORD is always near
Be calm, be still
Know the LORD is always here

I am here.
Never fear.
Call My Name.
I'll never change.

Be still.
Child, be calm.
Child, be still.
Be still.

written: May 15, 2013


I don't know where you're at in your faith-journey, but suffice it to say, I've lived a lot of life. I've lived overseas, I've worked with a variety of people, had many different experiences (both good and bad) that have forced me to my knees in either desperation or utter praise for what the LORD has done in my life. Yet, I still struggle with anxiety.

Even writing that sentence gives me anxiety. The truth is, we live in a world completely filled with reasons to be anxious. All we have to do is turn on the TV and we'll hear threats of wars, and realities of wars all around us. Maybe you're reading this and the war is right on your doorstep. The reality is, whether it is a physical war or spiritual one, we do have cause for concern - the world is a very difficult place to live most days. But there is hope. 

I remember writing this song. It was in a time in my life where I sincerely didn't know up from down. I had been experiencing an incredible amount of anxiety due to flash-backs from my past that were surfacing in demonic-nightmares. I still can't understand why God allowed all that to occur in my life, but there is one thing that I know and will grip with all my might - He is still here. He hasn't left. And, even more comforting, He speaks words of calm in the storm; in my storm.

My counselor at the time, knowing that I was poetic and musical, challenged me to write a song based on the text Psalm 46:10: Be still, and know that I am God. If you haven't ever read this chapter of Psalms, I would highly recommend it. It's a Psalm of Hope, a Psalm of Rest. It is filled with promises for those who wrestle with the questions of life that few dare to ask. 

The truth is, as I read through my response in song, I am challenged to consider the truths that are so blatantly obvious. If the LORD is with us, if He promises never to leave us, then what have we to fear? He's good and trustworthy, after all, so there is no need for fear. So why do we fear? Why are we so anxious? I can only answer that for me - I am anxious because I am choosing to not focus my eyes on Him. As I read through the words I wrote on May 15, 2013, I know they're true...but I'm always challenged by the ending of my song. Note how my 'inner voice' as it were comes out. I truly sensed that the LORD was using my own voice to hear His. Sometimes the words, 'Be Still. Be Calm' need to be sung louder over us. Sometimes, in the midst of our storms, these words can't be heard in a whisper. Sometimes, these words are not directed to the storms in our lives, but to the storms within. 

Will you trust Him today with your life? Will you, whatever the circumstances, believe that He has the capacity to calm our storms within even though the storms without cannot be calmed for reasons that we cannot understand? Hear His voice and believe. 

Be Still. Be Calm. Know the LORD is always near.  

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing this. Very powerful reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I appreciate your encouragement. These truths are often hard to communicate, but hard truths need to be communicated :) Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete